Going for travel cards in today’s environment takes careful planning. After all, as of right now, AMEX allows a new card bonus only ONCE in your lifetime. Now that is to say you only get the bonus if AMEX “says you have never ever had the card before” so it is always wise to check (we did and confirmed this for my wife). Beyond that, due to this once in a lifetime rule, a new card from AMEX should only be obtained if either the bonus is the highest ever or if you have a real need for the points. We had both right now:
- Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Limited Time Offer- Earn an extra 10,000 bonus Starpoints® after you make an additional $2,000 in purchases within the first 6 months. Offer ends 4/5.
- Earn 2 Starpoints® for each dollar of eligible purchases spent on the Card at participating SPG® & Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 1 Starpoint for all other purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on International purchases.
- Redeem Starpoints® at over 1,300 participating hotels and resorts in over 100 countries and for flights on more than 150 airlines with SPG flights, all with no blackout dates.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
This really is the best offer I have ever seen from the SPG card plus we just don’t know what will happen to this card moving forward with Chase being the long term bank with Marriott that has purchased the Starwood brand. Time to lock in now with this offer as it could possibly go away and then we really could never get the bonus ever again!
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 35,000 bonus Starpoints® – Offer ends 04/05/2017.
- Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Earn an extra 10,000 bonus Starpoints® after you make an additional $3,000 in purchases within the first 6 months.
- Earn 2 Starpoints® for each dollar of eligible purchases at participating SPG® Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 1 Starpoint® for all other purchases.
- Redeem Starpoints® for free nights at over 1,300 hotels & resorts in over 100 countries and for free flights on over 150 airlines with SPG Flights. Some hotels and resorts have mandatory service charges.
- Free, unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi at more than 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide. Enrollment required.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on international purchases and $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees
My wife already HOLDS the business SPG card but that in no way impacts her ability to get the personal card. In fact, that card is the one she will hold long term (if she can) because we tend to stay at Sheraton hotels many times throughout the year and that business SPG card gets us club access no matter what elite status she holds with SPG (a very nice perk).
Also I mentioned we need the points. I, right now, have plenty of SPG points but am really hoping and planning for another SPG PGA moments event to pop up in a few weeks and will burn a bunch of points for this event and I don’t like being low on SPG points. My wife can send me in 1000 increments lots of SPG points from her account and I very much like this perk too.
Another no brainer reason for choosing this card NOW before the limited time bonus ends is the fact that SPG points transfer 3:1 over to Marriott. While I’m not a huge fan of Marriott, they have hotels just everywhere on the planet and cheap. I freely admit I have stayed at more Marriotts since the SPG buyout just because they are a great value at a number of locations. Value I respect when I travel and I am generally not a luxury kind of hotel guy.
Lastly, she went for only one card, because we are now going to wait for a really LONG-ish time before she goes for another AMEX card. In case you missed it my wife is going for Delta Diamond Medallion status in 2018. She will be starting the year at ZERO MQMs or elite points and we plan to have her at 125,000 on or around the 1st of March 2018 (yes, in about two-ish months). It will include a bunch of flying (30k booked already) but it will also include a lot of work on Delta AMEX Reserve cards she has never had. With just one Reserve card, and $60,000 in spend, she will have 40,000 MQMs (10K+15k+15) and importantly be MQD exempt. I will also send her my MQMs from my spend adding 30k more to her totals. Either way we want her to get an instant approval after 1JAN18 and thus no more AMEX for a while after this SPG card.
I hope you see my point I started with, that is with the AMEX 1x in a “lifetime” rule you really need to think before you click. Is the bonus HUGE? Do you need the card? What are your future plans? Will you be able to get the bonus ever again? All of these matter to us and they should to you too! – René