I had a client (on my real job) ask me the other day where on the blog I show what credit card to use for what to get the maximum value. I sheepishly said, uhhh, I don’t have one. Time to fix that right now.
I not only get many card but I also use a ton of cards. I rotate what I keep in my wallet. I always have my Delta AMEX Reserve card, also my Barclaycard Arrival™ World MasterCard® card and then one I am fulfilling some kind of spend from my latest round. Some cards, like my INK Plus, I use simply for specific things that are set for autopay and forget about them. So let me show some ideas for you.
- INK Plus Credit card or INK Bold Charge card Both pays you 5x back, i.e. 5 UR points per dollar, spent on
“wireless/telecommunications services (excluding equipment such as phones and fax machines), cable and satellite television and radio services, office supply stores and wholesale distributors of office supplies.”
So what I do is set my cell phone and cable bills to autobill to my INK card. Simple and max rewards. When I do order office supplies I also use this puppy.
- Barclaycard Arrival™ World MasterCard® card. The Arrival card is hands down one for the best cards for fleabilty and pays you 10u 10% points back when you redeem for travel. Most travel bloggers feel if you can pick just one best card for travel, this is it and a must have card for Delta travelers plus you can spend the points and EARN when flying on Delta – talk about a WIN=WIN!
- Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express. Earn triple points (i.e. 3x) on airfare, double points on gasoline at U.S. gas stations, double points (i.e. 2x) at U.S. supermarkets, and single points on other purchases.
- ANY Delta AMEX card. When it comes to buying things on a Delta flight:
“Card members will receive a 20% savings on eligible in-flight purchases of food, alcoholic beverages, movies, television shows, video games and audio headsets on Delta Air Lines®-operated flights”
This is not instant credit but shows up as a credit back on your account a few weeks later. But still, 20% is not bad! I then use this for most other purchases to meet the spend to get MQM’s each year on my Reserve card.
- USbank FlexPerks® Travel Rewards Visa Signature® card. Charity. One of the great things about Americans is they give to charity. Did you know you can get 3x, basically 6% back since 20k Flexperk points is worth up to $400 ticket! Just like the Barclay’s Arrival card you will EARN Skymiles when you spend these points and fly on Delta!
- SPG AMEX card personal and SPG OPEN Business cards. Like most hotel programs you get big bonus points for paying for your room etc. with the hotel’s card. The SPG card is the same way.
- Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express. Being able to get 6% back at most US Supermarkets (6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%) is a great card to just pull each time you buy food for your family. Prices are going up each year so why not get some back!
So there you have it. This is my basic list for maximizing points. Are there other things you do to eeek out a few more points on purchases with cards? Let your fellow DeltaPoints readers know. – René
Editorial Note: Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer.
▲Delta▲ SkyMiles® Credit Card
from American Express®
Click here for more information