Delta, clearly, does a bunch of things right. But you know just because you do some things right, does not mean the DUMB things you do can’t offset the good things.
Just what kind of dumb things am I talking about? Well as someone who has flown over two hundred segments with Delta over the past two years I think I can really speak with authority when I tell you what they need to fix.
Many of these will not cost Delta much money, and could even end up making them more money. That should be motivation alone to spur Delta to action. Let’s take a look at my top ten list if you will.
1) Food problems. I guess I could have broken this one out into many, but simpler to have in just one. We know Delta does well when it comes to meals in the air. They are even making them better in 2016. But there are three GLARING issues. First, not being able to pre-select meals means they often run out of your first choice. Other airlines allow this so why not Delta? The second one is NOT following FEBO, if they cannot do the first one then follow FEBO ordering that is Front Even Back Odd number flights so we can at least plan where to sit. The last is the DUMB food dead zone between 2-4 PM on long flights. Just end this please.
2) No seat change notice. I cannot believe Delta IT is not smart enough to tell us when they have, for whatever reason a.k.a. equipment change etc., bumped us out of our favorite seat. Delta is all about selling the “travel experience” in 2016 and our seat choices matter. Please TELL US if you change us. I mean if Award Wallet can do it, surely mighty Delta IT can as well.
3) Additive prices. It really is so stupid to charge 2x, or more, for a SkyMiles award. I mean Delta is already, most times, charging so much more than most airlines for an award ticket but the arrogance of adding another one way on top of inflated ridiculous prices is just insane and dumb. Just stop it Delta. It is shameful and you can fix the tech to stop this if you want to.
4) Can’t combine Vouchers. “Back in the day”, that is, about 4 years ago this month, you could combine a bunch of vouchers from bumps etc. You could even give them to someone else to spend. They were basically Delta CASH. Then Delta snapped back to prevent people from selling them on eBay and even went to only one per person. You can use up to 3 Delta e-Gift cards per ticket, but only one of the “other” type. This needs to be fixed. I get only for you and those with you but let us use up to 3 like with e-Gift cards.
5) Shena. We all should know that officially when you board you give up your right to a medallion upgrade. That is why many of us join #TeamBoardLast to score that last upgrade seat. But we should not have to play this game. A GA or gate agent should not be SO worried about on-time departure that they cannot go onboard and upgrade the elite who was #1 on the list. Or, they should tell them that they should wait to board (a simple fix).
6) Forced gate check for elites. The day a gate agent forces me to gate check my carry-on is the day I will be taking another flight. We should all know by now if you are Zone 2 or higher you are likely going to be forced to check your bag. But, elites can board through the Sky Priority lane when they want after 1st class & DM’s have boarded. So whenever they board they should never EVER be forced to gate check a bag. Space can be found for those few elites late to the gate!
7) Delta studio issues. Now I know Gogo is basically the one in charge, if you will, with Delta studio but then the mothership should push or punish them for not fixing it. It does not work with any Android phones and that is ridiculous. It does not work with Windows 10 and that is beyond ridiculous. Even when you have a working device it does not work many times and that is shameful. Delta, fix Delta Studio now!
8) RU & GU upgrade space. Regional and Global upgrade certificates was a brilliant idea. We value them as elites and especially the Global ones as they are the one way we can upgrade on international flights as medallions. But we know revenue management is so tight on giving up space that 100% empty flights will often not have one single seat for RU or GU use. That is just wrong. When you post a flight offer a set number of seats always. If we miss the chance to book those, well, then it is our fault not yours!
9) CRJ200s! Delta you promised to park more of these as fast as possible. Now we have rumors from regional pilots web boards that you are doing the opposite, that is, bringing more of them back on-line for us to “enjoy”. You know we all HATE these “evil” things. Of all the things you can do to really upset us – THIS – is one that could drive folks to seek out other (less torturous) travel experiences, like flying other airlines (now that SkyMiles is all but worthless) or even taking a bus.
10) SDC changes (you pick what version). I can tell you, dearest Delta, few things upset Delta elites more than Same Day Change changes. Go back to what you had that worked. Allow us to change if there is a seat in the CABIN of service we booked. If we booked coach, any open seat should work. Let us get home an hour or two sooner rather than let the seat get filled with a Delta employee. Reward our loyalty dollars. Please!
So this is my list of stupid things Delta does that they really could fix and would be #KeepClimbing events that would motivate more loyalty dollars being spent on Delta tickets rather than other airlines. What do you think of my list? Do you agree? Have I missed anything you feel is a major failing that Delta could change in 2016 if they wanted to? – René