Delta sent me a very nice e-mail the other day and it confirms what I have been preaching for a long time – that is, flying is one of the worst ways to earn SkyMiles. I do not fly Delta (on paid tickets) for SkyMiles – I fly to earn MQMs or elite points to keep my Diamond status. Now I still like burning SkyMiles in a number of ways like with PWM tickets that also earn me MQMs. Beyond that I still like the sweet and almost unlimited flexibility being Platinum or Diamond Medallion gives me with award tickets – that is, to book and cancel however I want up to 72 hours before flight. Almost every single Delta award I have ever booked I have changed. That is real value to me of SkyMiles – flexibility with no fee.
Well right now, under the current SPG AMEX LTO or Limited Time Offer, you have a chance to earn, after spending $5000 on the personal card, or $8000 on the business card, a total of 40,000+ SPG points on either of the above.
- Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Limited Time Offer- Earn an extra 10,000 bonus Starpoints® after you make an additional $2,000 in purchases within the first 6 months. Offer ends 4/5.
- Earn 2 Starpoints® for each dollar of eligible purchases spent on the Card at participating SPG® & Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 1 Starpoint for all other purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on International purchases.
- Redeem Starpoints® at over 1,300 participating hotels and resorts in over 100 countries and for flights on more than 150 airlines with SPG flights, all with no blackout dates.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 35,000 bonus Starpoints® – Offer ends 04/05/2017.
- Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Earn an extra 10,000 bonus Starpoints® after you make an additional $3,000 in purchases within the first 6 months.
- Earn 2 Starpoints® for each dollar of eligible purchases at participating SPG® Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 1 Starpoint® for all other purchases.
- Redeem Starpoints® for free nights at over 1,300 hotels & resorts in over 100 countries and for free flights on over 150 airlines with SPG Flights. Some hotels and resorts have mandatory service charges.
- Free, unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi at more than 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide. Enrollment required.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on international purchases and $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees
But a reader the other day asked me why he should get these cards because he only likes SkyMiles. OK that is simple because notice what SPG tells us:
Delta is one of the many travel partners that you can send your SPG points over to 1:1 – that is, one for one for redemption. And if you did not know it you get a bonus if you do it 20,000 points at a time. Notice what else they tell us on the transfer page at SPG:
Yep, for each 20,000 you send to Delta you get 5,000 bonus SkyMiles. This means if you did 4x20k transfers from getting the cards above and meeting the minimum spend you would net out 100,000 Delta SkyMiles. Not bad at all for us Delta flyers!
Now some other bits. If you are married and want to send SPG points to your spouse you can do that too in a minimum of 1,000 points at a time. That way, if you are say a lower status than your spouse, they can send the SPG points to their Delta account and book the award with the perks of say being a Platinum or a Diamond. This can also be useful if your spouse has already got the SPG cards and cannot get the new card bonus – that is, maybe others in the family have NOT yet had the SPG cards and are thus able to get the 1x lifetime new card bonus.
SPG points are hands down some of the most valuable travel points in the travel space. Being able to send them to Delta with a bonus is just one more great reason why! – René