I love good news! For the past several years AMEX has offered an increased sign-up bonus with spend and this year is no different. SPG points are some of the most valuable and versatile points you can hold and spend. They tend to keep their value over time (unlike many other types of points) and I earn and burn them all year long. Here is the current increased business offer from AMEX:.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $6,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Earn an extra 10,000 bonus Starpoints® after you make an additional $4,000 in purchases on the Card within the first 6 months. Offer ends 11/1/2017.
- Earn 2 Starpoints® for each dollar of eligible purchases at participating SPG® & Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 1 Starpoint® for all other purchases.
- Redeem Starpoints® for free nights at over 1,300 hotels & resorts in over 100 countries and for free flights on over 150 airlines with SPG Flights. Some hotels and resorts have mandatory service charges.
- Free, unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi at more than 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide. Enrollment required.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on international purchases and $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees
There are some key points to keep in mind. If you have EVER, I mean EVER had the business SPG card you will >>> NOT <<< get the bonus offer even if you are approved for the card! How do you know if you have ever had it? Check THIS post to find out before you apply for the card.
Next question, do I need an EIN number to get the business offer? No. Anyone who runs a business, even a sole proprietor using their SSN can get the card (even those just buying and selling on eBay for example). Just be accurate on the application as to how much you earn or don’t earn for your business and there is a field for your other income to show you do earn enough to pay off what you spend on the card. Is there an advantage of having an EIN number? Not really. If I run more than one business can I get the card and the bonus for more than one business? Officially no but there are many reports of folks getting approved for each business they run. Just know YMMV on this.
What are the perks of this card? There are a bunch and a bunch of new ones. For the business card you get, in addition to the points:
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi
- Free in-room Internet at SPG Participating Hotels
- 5 nights and 2 stay credit each year toward SPG Elite status
- Access to Sheraton Club Lounge
If you like Sheratons you know their lounges can be very nice. Most times you get a respectable breakfast and even an evening snack and at some locations complimentary house drinks – just nice.
I have talked a bunch this year about the decline in value of SkyMiles. I no longer no actively collect them. However, for every 20,000 SPG points I send over to Delta I net 25,000 once they are sent over to Delta. That is great value should I wish to use my SPG points this way. If I don’t, they still have the great value to me sitting in my SPG account.
Have any questions about this offer? Fire away! – Rene
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by American Express. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by American Express.