I love the start of a weekend for so many reasons both personal and points. But let’s focus on points. I look at the week gone by and check my balances to make sure I am getting all I should. I gleefully look at the week to come and what may be on the way. I also look at my upcoming trips. Here are my “top 10” things I do to make my trip better:
1) The day before when I check in for my flight I also e-mail or fax the hotel I will stay at and ask very nicely for an upgrade since I am whatever status, or my wife is whatever status, with that chain. It often works and you jump ahead of EVERYONE checking in the next day!
2) I bring my Magellan GPS as I have found this can make or break a trip. Always always always bring it! You are on your time and flushing vacation time being lost is no fun. Or you can end up finding very kool places like I did on a recent trip to Chicago .
3) Bring your “i-zoom” or “EZ pass” or “I-pass” – or whatever your state calls it – toll road transponder. Right now 13 states share this system. This can save you TONS of time and cost!
4) Air/Hotel/Car cards. What to do with all your cards? I have most of my programs on my Award Wallet card that for $10 has like 20 on it. But also I punch a hole in them and use 3 key rings and that works great and can just be tossed in my carry-on bag!
5) While I have never got one of these I have a jacket with 8 pockets and I can pack a TON if I want in it. It would shock you just how much. This guy has the same idea and then some.
6) To increase my odds for “bumportunities” I try to go carry-on. Also keep size restrictions in mind. For DELTA the official fit in the little metal tester box is: 22″ x 14″ x 9″.
7) I always keep the essential items with me like glasses if you wear contacts & a lens case filled with solution (but put it in a zip bag as at altitude it will leak!), medications (even my favorite OTC cold meds just in case), identification & extra cash. I bring a clean shirt and socks & under garments expecting to get bumped!
8 ) I try to pre-adjust for jet-lag. My wife and I try to do this before our trips to Sweden by going to bed and getting up earlier for a few days before we go and have found it really helps.
9) I always take photos of ALL my luggage. Then, I do it again with my phone. Also I print 2 copies in color so if your luggage is lost I simply hand one copy to the baggage claim agent when filing the report. I have had the wrong bag handed to me before and the guy walk off! Another thing I also do is place identification tags on the inside as well as outside all my luggage. Lastly take photos with phone of your baggage claim tags – checked & plane-side – so you have those numbers handy if you need them. Takes 2 seconds right?
10) WIPE! FA’s always commend me for this. Go totally “Monk” when you sit down on the plane! Bring along some antibacterial wipes and go over everything – tray table, vid-screen, controller, armrests, window shade, buttons & air vent. Trust me, you don’t want to know what I’ve seen contaminating these surfaces! I also do this in hotels with phone, remote, light switches. Maybe overkill, but you should do this! “You’ll thank me later!”
So now it’s your turn. Help your fellow DeltaPoints readers with your tips to make our trips better. – René
[EDIT] – I see where this is going (in a good way)! So keep the tips coming.
Next Friday I will post the best ones for a “part two”!