One of the things I have been wrestling with for some time is what to do this November with my second Delta Reserve card. I have my business card and have had it since the late 90’s and will never dump it. But my second card I got for the 10,000 Bonus MQMs that I then rolled over into 2013 since I stopped short of Diamond Medallion last year.
My choices are either soon cancel it and then maybe get it again some time down the road since I will have spent $60,000 on the card this year meaning I will have all the MQMs I can possibly get from the card this year. Or, I can keep it and just spend $60,000 again in 2014 and get 30,000 more bonus MQMs. The thing is, I just don’t need that many MQMs in 2014 as I am rolling over so many MQMs this year from mileage runs. So what to do. Then a simple e-mail from a reader, “Bob”, made me think and just said:
“Renee, why don’t you just downgrade one of your two Reserve cards.”
First Bob, don’t make me a girl 🙂 (two ee’s is the girl’s name, one e is the boy’s). I am just kidding Bob and I love the suggestion. Here is why I am really thinking about this downgrade idea and it might be the right play for me.
I am no fan of upgrading AMEX cards as so many times things can go very wrong. Your spend totals for the year can be wiped out (if you have not redeemed for spend yet) as well as so many other potential issues. But I will have already reached all my spend levels and cannot get more and redemption’s will be locked in. I could maybe try for another spend bonus for the downgraded Platinum Delta AMEX card for 2013, but there is huge risk I would not get credit for all that spend and get nothing since I got the Reserve card spend bonus this year. The better choices is just start fresh 01JAN2014 with this card. The 20,000 bonus MQMs for spending $50,000 plus the 30,000 from my Reserve Delta AMEX for spending $60,000 on it would be just fine. Thus the 50,000 total bonus MQMs total from both cards is more than enough for me for 2014. I already get more upgrades and low level seats from having a Reserve business card and having a second one will not help that or get me even more. Plus, having one of the cards annual fee drop from $450 to $150 will be nice.
I will still have my BOGOF from my Reserve. I may get one from my downgraded Platinum card or not. My guess is that if I wait till the fee for year two bills, and I then call and downgrade, I will get the Reserve certificate anyway, but just don’t know. I will be fine if I get one, get a Platinum one, or don’t get one at all till next year. It will be fun to test either way and I think this is the plan of action for me. What do you think? – René
▲Delta▲ SkyMiles® Credit Card
from American Express®
Click here for more information