I love flying. I love travel. I do not always love those who travel around me. This post was motivated by a total jerk of a seat mate Zach from DTW to SBN. Let me set the stage for you. Lisa & I were flying all carry-on. My laptop bag fits, even on a CRJ200 in the overhead. My carry-on, that is Delta Size Check AOK does fit under the seat on a CJR-200 but takes a little bit of the leg room of both seats. However, we all know that plane side checking anything can greatly shorten it’s life. Anyway, Zach sits down next to me and says:
Zach – Your bag is encroaching my space.
Rene – I am sorry it will not fit above.
Zach – Check it.
Rene – You know how bad they beat up plane side checked bags.
Zach – That does not matter.
Rene – You could ask to be reseated.
And we shared a few more words and proceeded to ignore each other since the flight after all from DTW-SBN is a full 30 minuets long. So what does good old Zach do next? He has both his phone and his iPad on in cell mode for the full flight and hides the cell connection corner on the iPad each time the FA walks by. Thanks a lot Zach for endangering all 50 of us so you could send out some e-mail about aluminum soffits that I am sure are changing the world!
Without getting into too much of a debate as to the danger of using a cell phone on a jet the FAA does say:
“Cell phones differ from most PEDs in that they are designed to send out signals strong enough to be received at great distances.”
I follow the direction of the FA s and as soon as I hear the boarding door close I shut off my cell connection. Not so important for good old Zach!
But on to the rest of my travel list of ultra annoying people / events many of which I have experienced on this very trip. In no special order:
1) Speaking of bags and overheads, can you learn to put your bag in the right way? I mean these equally make me nuts. Either the “yeah the door will close” when we all know it will not or the “let’s put it sideways and take up 2 spots” when wheels out or handle out will work (but please do a test close to be sure).
2) Chewing gum with an open month like a pig. I get the need to chew gum but does it need to sound like a pig at the trough chowing down?
3) Slamming of hotel room doors. We all know those things are heavy. Hey, guess what, there are people trying to sleep all around you; how about NOT letting it go and slamming against the jam late at night or early in the AM when you come and go! Please close the thing gently!
4) Blocking seats in the Skyclub with your bags. Ya know we all have bags but we don’t need to take up extra seats with our bags. I know the Skyclubs will soon be much less crowded due to the price jump (we will see if the test perks offset the price jump) but until then please keep your bags off to the side.
5) Back to jets. Even if first class space is a little limited, please person behind me, unless you are actually nearly 7′ tall, get your knees out of my seat back and stop massaging my tushy with your feet. I like neither one.
6) Hotels again. Why do you and your kids have to YELL down the corridor? You see all those doors around you while you yell, yeah those, there are people like me trying to sleep behind them. Please shut your trap! Geezzzz.
7) This is mostly in an airport but works anywhere. Please don’t just STOP in the middle of the walkway without warning. I will walk into you if you do as I walk with a purpose. If you need to stop then step off to the side please.
8) Back to noise. I understand it can be hard to hear each other on an airplane. But on an early morning flight, should and FA be SO LOUD up in the galley that I can hear every word from row two in 1st class? Hello! Some are trying to sleep back here! Grrr… (can I get another “like” valley girl)?
9) While on the FA topic, why do they have to play demo derby with the drink carts into my seat. I mean, it is hard to sleep in a seat and really hard after that jarring BANG by the cart. Please pay attention to where you drive the cart people!
10) TSA Pre Check newbee’s. If you are going to use Pre Check learn the rules. You don’t have to get naked. Just toss it all on the belt and run through the arch. If it beeps take out your cell phone and toss that on the belt like you should have in the 1st place and then run through again and get out of my way I need to go to a Skyclub and drink some #SkunkyBeer.
You know I could do this all day long but it is now your turn. What are your most frustrating pet peeves that people do when traveling? What are the best of the best I have left off this list? You tell me. – René
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.