I have made the argument in the past that for most Delta flyers the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express® personal or business card is the card of choice. Why do I think so?
- Because you can earn 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) and 35,000 bonus miles after you spend $1,000 on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn a $100 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
- The fee is going up after 1MAY2014 to $195 per year ($150 if application is received before May 1, 2014).
- Both now, and under Skymiles2015 you can earn 2X miles for each eligible dollar you spend on Delta purchases. 1X miles for each dollar you spend on other eligible purchases.
- Lastly if you are going for medallion status and make $25,000 in purchases and earn 10,000 bonus miles and 10,000 MQMs each calendar year; make $50,000 in purchases and earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles and 10,000 MQMs each calendar year.
Let’s look at these one at a time. The MQMs are worth a bunch. 5,000 MQMs is the same as flying from JFK to LAX and back. What would that ticket cost you? These are included just getting the card and spending $1,000 in the first 3 months. Oh and 35,000 Skymiles worth at least 1 cent each when you use Pay with Miles so $350 in value there.
Next, $100 when you buy stuff with Delta. This is simple math you are getting another $100 in value here.
Since the price to hold the card is going up after 01MAY why not get your 1st year at the lower price of $150 if approved before that date!
Under Skymiles2015 we need all the points we can get. If you don’t plan to pay with the American Express® Premier Rewards Gold card this is a very good alternate choice.
Lastly all the bonus points from meeting the $25k & $50k spend totals before 31DEC2014 and each year after that. Then also, after year two’s fee bills, you will get your “buy one get one free + tax” certificate for coach travel on Delta. That can be worth a bunch too!
Bottom line is year one you are, to me, getting $450 in value, plus the 5k MQMs worth, to me, several hundred dollars and saving $45 in annual fee by getting the card approved before May 1st. This is real value for a Delta flyer! – René
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.