Gosh, it has been a long time since I had a Delta news update post (like two months). So it is time to do some catch-up from May and June and this time I will share my insightful commentary on each piece! Let’s see what caught my eye this round:
- It seems for YEARS some crooks “unloaded” $22 million from Delta with fake invoices going all the way back to the NWA days. Yes, $22 million sounds like a lot of money but at ~$4.5 million per day in bag and change fees it will take less than 5 days to make up the loss!
- Oh no, say it ain’t so – The “Lisa Marie” and the “Hound Dog II” are being moved from Graceland! On the plus side maybe you could buy one of them and live every day of your life in one of Elvis’ jets!
- There has been so much flooding in the Midwest this year that it almost feels like riding on a Quantas A380 jet. Err what? And you though you had to go to the lumber yard at least 3 times to fix your plumbing problems (and find all the right tiny bits)! I hope this was not the case for this flight too.
- (You will only understand this if you watch Top Gear UK – so I say this like James May about the Ford Mondeo) Good news! Delta shareholders have re-elected the board for Delta. The comment from board member Board Chairman Dan Carp in part said: …”the airline our customers want to fly.” Maybe you should take a look at Skymiles2015 before you drop statements such as this!
- I really just don’t understand the Wearable stuff. I had a really kool old geek wristwatch that was touch screen WAY back in the 90’s. It did not work on flights as the screen “puffed up” at altitude. Yes, very strange. Well Delta has updated the Android app to work with Wearables. Should I be excited? Gosh, I feel old.
- We should all know (since I blog about it each year) that anytime right around the 1st of July is the best time to status match / challenge with Delta as it gives you the longest elite time and chance to enjoy the perks. Delta, in its infinite wisdom, has now lowered the bar on what it takes to be a FO/GM/PM with our beloved airline. All I can say is #TheReason2BeDiamond is more important than ever. Mileage Run anyone?
- This one is more of a question than news. Has anyone gotten the bonus points for new Skymiles members offer from two years ago that seems to keep going longer than the energizer bunny? Plus, as we all know, under Skymiles2015 flying will be the worst way to earn Skymiles so time to start looking at any other way possible!
- #ICYMI that is “In Case You Missed It” both SEA and BOS are now, by Delta, considered HUBS! There are pros and cons to this (just ask CVG & MEM). The good news is we can expect some better prices as Delta attempts to “beat” the competition up on prices so I expect more mileage runs to be starting or ending at these cities. Plus, there are more chances for the free one way add-on from these towns as well!
- I love Mike Rowe. I miss “Dirtiest Jobs” since it was canceled. Well Mike, on his facebook page, has a rant about CRJ700’s and calls it “skinny Tube of Despair“. Sigh – how about you spend, with taxi and land time, almost 2 hours on a CJR200 from SBN-ATL my dear TV host, then we can talk despair! But hours on board a jet smelling of urine does not sound nice as the 12,000+ comments seem to attest to (wow)!
- You may have noticed that Delta lost the bid to trademark itself as “The world’s most trusted airline“. Then again, when they put out ads like these you can see why the government maybe did a double-take on such a request. The “enhancements” as of late flowing from the mothership have been as deep as the water on a Quantas A380! 😉
Well that about wraps up the latest round of what I found fun in Delta and aviation news for the past few months. I hope July brings us some good news for a change – wow would that be refreshing for once! – René
Editorial Note: Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer.
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.