I love scuba diving. If you never have been you should try it one day. There is so much life everywhere! Day or night there is motion and movement. Then there are truly amazing things like “cleaning stations” where prey is not eaten by much larger, scary predators. I don’t know about you but I just could not trust doing what these little creatures do. You never know when the predator might just snap!
Now for the rest of this post consider Delta as the eel with large, big teeth in these next examples and see if you don’t agree with me that there is something very odd and strange going on here.
- First we have American Express. Clearly Delta appreciates the relationship with AMEX and the Skymiles they buy each year. However, most also know at this point that the May 1st reduction in Skyclub benefits from the AMEX Reserve card were not shared with AMEX in advance. The success of the Centurion Lounges is a great buffer against more moves like this by not just Delta but other airline partners.
- Then we have Air France & KLM. Award space comes and goes (mostly goes). From what I have been told Delta has been very stingy paying and sharing award space with the Skyteam partners and thus they are doing the same toward us as Skymiles members. Gotta be careful as a Delta partner – just ask Korean.
- Speaking of Korean, have you priced a Korean flight vs. the same flight as a Delta code share? Just a teeny tiny price difference (ok so a huge difference). Now we all know if you want points you had better pick the code share.
- Are you starting to feel like a cleaning “fish” yet? No? Let’s talk about Alaska. Delta has made a HUB of their home town airport. Expansion is nonstop and every month Delta brings a new challenge to win flyers, like by awarding elite status to anyone who lives in Washington.
- How about Hawaiian. Delta calls them a partner airline. Hawaiian? They call Delta “Other“! Earning points on this, ah hem, partner is less that glorious. And we all found last year we can no longer redeem Hawaiian points to fly Delta (not that it was that simple to do when you could)!
- How about the Pilots union? If you look at the tweets from the last big meeting in Chicago you will see just how Delta treats them. We know Delta is not a fan of unions, but then again Delta does sorta need the sky jockeys to drive the jets. Maybe they should be a little careful with these guys and gals?
I really could go on all day long with this. Delta is king of the hill right now. They can do no wrong. Any “partner” who dares to defy them will just get the cold shoulder or pushed out of the way. I think anyone wanting to do business with our mothership should be very afraid! – René
Editorial Note: Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer.
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.