Delta has a “Chairman’s Award” that recognizes the “Best of the Best” of Delta. The people that go beyond the job and show unparalleled dedication to the airline. They exemplify the Delta slogan “Keep Climbing“!
Well, there are many choices made by Delta people each day that deserve another award. Maybe the “busted chair” award? Either way, the choices on this list are all worthy of the slogan “Keep Descending” that is, the lower the better!
I am going to revisit this award from time to time as I have no problem calling Delta out when they do things busted chair worthy. Let’s take a look back at this year starting with the most recent “Keep Descending” moment!
1) The end of RTW (Round the World) Award tickets – One of the great values of Skymiles! I know many readers have had Adam book RTW tickets for them. It does take a long time to get done, but there is real value to redeeming your Skymiles this way – not much longer!
2) JFK-SFO/LAX/SEA medallion upgrade mess – Please keep in mind, officially, the upgrades don’t exist and have been eliminated by Delta. Yes, we do know that when they feel like it, Diamond and Platinums can maybe get an upgrade or on the upgrade list. Just don’t look for any of this in black and white on Delta.com
3) Playing with prices – One would think that a company as big as Delta could fix the simple things like pricing. They after all PUSH us to book ONLY at Delta.com. OK, make it work and we will. Maybe asking for too much.
4) $29+1 for $kyGrub – The choice to dump your +1 for meager bits of “food”! This took everyone, even AMEX with free +1 with the Delta Reserve card, by TOTAL surprise. I have been told by Delta folks that ALL choices from now on must be revenue net=neutral that is upgrades need to either not cost the company any money or make the company money. I am sure the Skyclub changes are making the company a TON of money!
5) HOOU devaluation – no more snacks! This one just makes me so mad as well as those who do not drink alcohol. Once again, I am sure giving away a few snacks was just costing the company too much money.
6) Mostly eliminating meal vouchers – I just don’t get this one; it is not like Delta was handing out tons of “money” with these. Many times they were only for a few bucks but enough to let you grab something from the food court. Now you have to go beg a redcoat and remind them that they DO have the power to print them if they want to.
7) No medallion upgrades for E-Class fares – Yep starting next year be careful you don’t end up with a fare that will result in you 100% guarantied to be sitting in coach. Txs Delta!
8) Higher MQD spend to earn your status – As we saw from yesterday, you will have to spend much more money with Delta to keep or earn your status. Give us more-more-more!
9) Skymiles2015 – destruction of loyalty! Gosh it is going to get ugly next year. I think the outrage will be huge. We will see. Just know Delta is not done cutting yet and without real push back from flyers much more decimation will be on the way!
And that is just for this year, so far. We could go back and look at other award worthy moves like the T-72 rule, Delta Diemiles(r), SDC 1,2,3&4, Skymiles devaluations, Consolidator fares and on and on.
Each time Atlanta’s hometown airline descends again I will be sure to tweet or post and add to the list. I just wish we could give out an actual trophy for those responsible at Delta to keep on their desk for others to appreciate and recognize the hard work it takes each day to “Keep Descending” and “Strive-ing for ZERO” (rather than Strive for Five)! – René
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by American Express. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by American Express.
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.