I have a quiz question for you. Tell me, what is one of the cheapest ways to get from a Delta HUB city to a starting point for a DeltaMileageRun (or a vacation for that matter)? Unless you instantly thought “Avios Points” you guessed wrong my friend! I mean take a look at the current great offer from Chase:
- You will get 50,000 bonus Avios after you make $2,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening.
- New: $0 Intro Annual Fee The First Year, Then $95.
- Every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases on your British Airways Visa Card, you’ll earn a Travel Together Ticket good for two years.
- In addition to the bonus Avios, you will also get 2.5 Avios for every $1 spent on British Airways purchases and 1.25 Avios for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Pay no foreign transaction fees when you travel abroad.
- Smart Chip Technology allows you to use your card for chip based purchases in Europe & beyond, while still giving you the ability to use your card as you do today at home.
Now why do I say this is such a great card for these kinds of direct flights from Delta hubs? Avios is a distance based program and you can spend all the points flying on American Airlines, their partner. You can fly coach the cheapest but, for the most part, 2x coach points for business should you want to go that way. You can check cities with this handy little points calculator on the BA web site btw. Just take a look at how many trips the current 50,000 points bonus offer after spending $2000 within the first 3 months of account opening could get you starting with trips from Atlanta!
We have seen a BUNCH of amazing DFW based mileage runs as a start point. You could make 3 round trips positioning trips (and home) to DFW from our Delta hub in ATL and still have points left over!
Check out SLC to DFW! You are talking the same deal as your Atlanta based flyers that is 3 trips with points to spare. Well what about our cold friends to the north in Minneapolis then?
We all know there have been some VERY nice runs out of MIA (like I have been covering as of late) and you could make two of these trips from MSP down to MIA and still have points to spare from just from the bonus points from this one card!
Oh then there are DTW or Detroit folks. I know you can drive to Chicago if you want to and there have been some sweet deals out of Chicago but you can fly there in no time and make 5 of these round trip flights and still have Avios points left over!
All of the above to me show REAL VALUE when you are a Delta HUB captive and want another choice. Yep, you need to think Avios Points! Plus, if it has been longer that 24 months since you got these bonus points last – YOU CAN GET THEM AGAIN with the British Airways Visa Signature® Card ! (yes it will be my turn soon again)!
So this is SWAG Saturday. The rules are HERE each week so take a look and by commenting you are agreeing you have reviewed them.
What I need from you is simple – just tell me: If you knew just how valuable Avios points can be for us Delta HUB captives? Also, did you know you can get the new card bonus AGAIN if it has been more than 24 months since you got it last. At least answer those two questions for a shot at the $100 Delta e-Gift card via Random.org this week! – René
Editorial Note: Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer.