This is one of those posts that just has to be written When your friends or coworkers tell you (insert whatever from the list below) you can just send them the link to this post. All of them are very common wrong assumptions about Delta or the Delta travel experience.
1) Mileage runs are going away in 2015 due to revenue based earnings. No, they are not. There are two types of points earned when you fly. Skymiles, those you spend for an award ticket, and MQMs or medallion qualifying miles that you do not spend but that get you status. The first is changing next year. The next is not and is just the same as 2014.
2) I found award space on AF or KLM web so Delta has to give them to me. No, they don’t. Just because you found a low level award seat, on either a AF/KLM or even Delta flight on their system, does not mean it will exist or must exist on Delta.com. The space other airlines open rarely has anything to do with the space Delta opens up.
3) The Delta elite year ends on the 31st of December each year. No, it does not. It is even more confusing for the next few years due to Delta shifting when the elite year ends. Historically it has always been the last day of February each year. After next year it will change to the last day of January each year.
4) If I see A or I class seats on Delta.com they should work with my AMEX Delta Reserve BOGOF certificate. No (officially). The problem is so many of the fares (most in fact) in these fare classes on Delta.com are what are called UP fares, that is, they are a coach ticket “Uped” to 1st class. For the certificate a real A or I class seat has to be there that often costs more. Having said that, unofficially if you push Delta on this they will sometimes match the UP fare.
5) I can now select seats on AF / KLM on Delta.com so I am all set. No, you are not. You will most times not get the seat you think you are getting. I could link 100 examples of folks getting a really bad seat after having picked something on Delta.com. If you want some special seat, you need to use the AF & KLM web site or tweet to them to confirm the seat you want.
6) Since I am Gold Medallion (or higher) or on a business class ticket I can use the Skyteam lounge when I arrive. No, you can’t. It is only when you are connecting to another Skyteam flight. The arrival city is only for your departure flight not your arriving flight.
7) How do I send my Delta Platinum AMEX points to someone? You don’t and you can’t. Only the Delta Reserve card spend bonus points can be sent to someone else. And even with the Reserve cad the new card bonus points go to the card member and cannot be sent anywhere.
8) The gate agent said the flight has checked-in full so 1st class is full. You may have just missed an upgrade. Checked-in full does NOT mean boarded full. If you really want that upgrade wait to board and ask if the flight has boarded full in 1st.
9) I don’t want to take a bump because I will miss out on miles. No, you wont. Even if Delta puts you on another airline you can, after the fact, request original route credit via Delta.com. You can many times even put in your frequent flyer number for the other airline flight and earn both Delta and the other airline points.
10) The T&C says no so I/you/we will not earn points. Please trust your bloggers. We have tested what works. Now things can change, but many times just because the T&C say one thing, the reality is something else.
So there you are. I will be using this to send out when folks ask or tell me the above statements as fact when we know they are wrong and the facts are the facts! – René
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by American Express. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by American Express.