Since it is Monday I thought I would share some of the Delta and other aviation bits that you may have missed over the past week or so. Some of the Swedish ones are truly from the land of el’Bizzaro-ville. Let’s take a look.
- 15AUG2011 Delta T-72 day! For those of you who are new to Delta you may not know it but years ago SkyMiles was a great program. Then the “enhancements” began and this past Saturday marks 4 years to the day we learned about the T-72 hour rule. That means once you hit that point, even if a Diamond Medallion, and you cancel an award your points are just lost forever. A real red letter day (of many) in Delta SkyMiles history!
- A drunk locks himself into an airline lavatory! And, the captain proceeds to get him out with an AXE. Now I did not know it was OK to have an axe on a jet, nor did I know the crew would go to such lengths to get a drunk out of the lavatory before landing. Just WoW!
- Anther idiot survives in the cargo hold. Keep in mind this can be quite a different ride than hiding where the landing gear goes but still not a good idea. I mean the service is just horrid in the cargo hold. No IFE or place to charge your phone – I suggest a seat and a seat in 1st class on points as a better choice! I know, #FirstWorldProblems vs desperate attempt at asylum.
- DAL stock rated C+? Kinda fitting since as part of Delta OFCMB seat choices they have C+ right? But seriously this is a rather cutting post about the value of DAL stock now and the service issues Delta may be having over the summer flying season. I have mostly been on partners this summer since finding LEVEL 1 award space on Delta metal has been, shall we say, rather hard! 😉
- Delta is cutting some Middle East service due to the ME3 fight. I am not going to get into the middle of this but just maybe it is time for Delta to offer an amazing SkyMiles program to compete with these carriers. Well, that is my opinion anyway. Or maybe a real 1st class seat or even a real premium economy seat like Virgin Atlantic and Air France has?
- Virgin Australia new biz seats! Gosh I like the look of these over the not so great Virgin Atlantic ones I have been on lately. The new ones look a lot like the new Delta A330 ones that I have yet to try out. I have to say the old VS ones are some of the worst business seats I have been on that are full flat for a long time.
- Delta is shaming passengers to spend more? We all know the evils of Delta BASIC E-class fares. Friends don’t let friends buy BASIC no matter what the savings. Delta even bragged at the 2Q15 conference call that 65% of those on Delta.com do not buy once they see the warnings from Delta. But passenger shaming? Well that may be pushing it but not by much!
- Oil around $40 per barrel. In case you missed it this means Delta will be crushing it on the earning side at the current levels due to cheap fuel. The last options contracts that over spent on oil futures have apparently expired and Delta should be enjoying an amazing bump in income from lower fuel. I guess that is why were are now seeing such cheap ticket prices and the Delta pilots are getting such a great contract deal #SaidNoOne. Sigh.
- SPG points now can be sent to Korean Air! This really is great news for you who are getting in on the current SPG AMEX deal. There is no way to book Korean 1st class with SkyMiles but this is a great workaround and just adds even more value to SPG points. Very good news indeed.
So that is what caught my attention in the news recently. Is there anything I missed or bit of news you want to share? Please comment below – Rene
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.