How about this. We, those who often fly dozens upon dozens of segments a year, help our Delta mothership save some money. Maybe, if we give them lots of good ideas as from our “boots on the ground” perspective if you will, they will consider plowing some of this saving back in to our so called “loyalty program”. After all, the SkyMiles team seems to have issues doing anything but cut as I pointed out yesterday. Let’s fix that!
What do you think? Does this idea have a chance of “flying” at all? I think it does. We all know a bunch because we are immersed in the Delta experience. But I need your help so I will get the list started and then please add your ideas in the comments section at the bottom of this post. Let’s dive in with my suggestions:
1) Remove newspapers from intentional flights. Instead, offer them in Skyclub before flight as DeltaONE passengers have club access. This will save fuel (weight from non-used heavy papers) and have agents at check in remind flyers where they can get them. Simpler to recycle from Skyclub too I would think!
2) Dump individual Skyclub membership from Diamonds. Now before you yell at me, I suggest this: just change the Choice Benefit “upgrade to Executive Membership” to become a full club member as one of the Diamond choices. That way, those who want it can get the perk, those who don’t care about clubs can pick other choices they value more. Maybe this will even make AMEX happier and lead to more Delta AMEX Reserve card holders retaining the card who will use that to get in to the club.
3) Go to mini soda cans. I am sure you have seen them on KLM etc. Think how much time and cost and how much this would speed up service if you just hand them the unopened mini can and a cup with ice. Speeding up service would make everyone is happy and this frees up time for the FAs to spend their time selling EATS and other “stuff” to passengers. Cha-ching Delta!
4) Dump 800 numbers. Other businesses and airlines do this. I mean how long has it been since you ever paid for domestic long distance? Anyone with a cell phone gets free domestic long distance I think. Plus, I never ever call Delta 800 elite number (ask me at the Chicago Seminars what number I call 🙂 ). So, Delta, just post ATL or CVG or MSP or SLC area code numbers on Delta.com and in the Fly Delta App.
5) Expand what Delta Assist can do. Now understand I am a HUGE Delta Assist fan. They can do a bunch. They are a great valuable tool but so many times they say I have to call the medallion line. I am sure that costs more than a rep already working on what I have an issue with fixing it. I am told Richard Anderson ONLY touches things ONCE. Hello, same idea RA!
6) Snacks before lunch / dinner domestic 1st class. I do not need peanuts, pretzels and Biscoff cookies before my meal. Seriously. I get a snack basket after my meal. Save these goodies for coach.
7) Allow meal choice ahead of time for confirmed 1st class. AA does this. Heck, have a box to allow them to choose NO MEAL. I know Delta meals do not cost “that” much but to be able to A) have just what I want (of the two choices for that fight) would be great and I am sure some would say NO and thus save money with less meals catered. Add that up on thousands of flights a day and I think that could save some real cash!
8) Sell MQSs each year. I don’t care what the IT cost is to make this happen but clearly Delta is selling a boatload of people MQMs each year (at insane and crazy prices but still people buy). I can promise you dearest Delta, segment flyers will PAY YOU CASH if they can by MQSs to make the next elite level. Just do this or add it to the MQM sale-a-thon in December each year.
9) Offer status buy back. I can tell you there are those who are departing Delta for other airlines (hello SkyMiles destruction). There are others who have medical issues or something similar and go from Diamond to just SkyMiles member. For whatever reason they dropped way down the ladder. Offer those who were whatever level a one time shot in their lifetime to buy back to that level for the medallion year as a shot to earn status for the next year and have past loyalty rewarded (for a price that is – I think folks will be happy-ish to pay up).
10) Uber and Delta. Right now you get bonus points when you use Uber and stay at an SPG hotel during the same period. Delta could do the same. Team up with Uber to offer bonus points when you Uber and fly Delta (and have Uber pay Delta for the perk or if not choose Lyft). Then also have Delta work to get more airports approved for Uber use!
So tell me, do you like or hate my list? Do you have some better ideas? Can you dream up things that we will hate but could work? I am happy to consider ANY ideas if they will SOS or, like the old saying went, “Save Our SkyMiles” from further destruction, hits and “enhancements”. If our ideas can save Delta money, and they can plow that back into fixing SkyMiles, I am happy to help out all I can.
Now it is your turn, comment below as a frequent flyer who is seeing places that can save Delta money. I know you are aware of some and maybe a bunch for that matter! Let’s make THIS the post everyone at Delta CORP reads and say YES for this much savings we can save SkyMiles and dig the program back out from the rubbish bin! – Rene
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.