TRUST. It is a simple word but one that is greatly lacking in our modern culture. I am old enough to have grown up with the understanding that when someone gave you their word, you trusted them. Also, that you trusted someone until they gave you a reason not to trust them, as most would not want to be known as a person who could not be trusted. Delta
hopes wants expects needs us to trust them. Take a look:
The Delta SkyMiles team needs to learn this and watch this video every day before they go to work. Why? We need to trust that our SkyMiles are a valuable currency. To make this really clear just look at this short trust list:
- We need to trust our SkyMiles will NOT be devalued without a year’s notice (at least).
- We need to trust the award charts are accurate and published (not hidden).
- We need to trust that when we click on an award it will not be phantom award space.
- We need to trust that we can find LEVEL 1 awards on Delta metal (see E7).
- We need to trust that higher awards will not yield additive pricing.
- We need to trust that if we die our loved ones can use our SkyMiles.
Every single time SkyMiles devalues our points without giving us at least 1 year’s notice they make us not trust them and the value of any earned points (via flying or other means). Every time we go to search for an award and cannot compare the price to a published award chart we lose more trust in Delta. Every time we click on an award only to find the price changes from what was on the screen in front of us we trust them less. Every time we search and can ONLY find partner space and not Delta metal LEVEL 1 awards we lose trust in SkyMiles. When SkyMiles is found with additive pricing for two segments vs. paying an already higher price for an award we trust them so much less. Lastly, when we are no longer here, we should be able to trust Delta to do the right thing and let us give our hard earned points to someone we love.
Then we have the Medallion team that in so many ways is closely tied to SkyMiles. They too need to watch the trust video above over and over. The need to clearly understand that:
- We need to trust SHENA will not visit our flight.
- We need to trust we will not be upgraded to a center C+ seat.
- We need to trust our GU and RU certs can find space.
- We need to trust an upgrade e-mail is to first class (only).
- We need to trust a C+ upgrade will not block us from 1st class
- We need to trust our upgrade space will not be sold “cheap” from under us.
I could go on but these really are the main ones, to me, that erode our trust in earning and holding elite status with Delta. I have pointed out to the Delta CEO personally the trust that is lost when SHENA visits my gate. Everyone, or just about everyone, who flies Delta feels like I do that a middle seat in the same coach seat as the rest of the jet is no upgrade and we need to trust we will not be moved to one ever without our permission. How about trusting when we go to spend our elite benefits to upgrade with a GU or RU that space will be there. We lose trust when we get an e-mail we have been upgraded to the same seat we are already in. We should be able to trust that after working for a year to earn elite status that those rules will not change until at least a year later. Lastly we should trust the published perks will not be sold out from under us for pennies on the dollar.
Delta strong. Delta proud. Delta difference. Yes, Delta trust – This is who they are. If only we could place the same trust in SkyMiles and the Medallion program that we have for the rest of Delta’s operations and people. Now wouldn’t that be something! – René