Before we dive into this I want to make a few things clear. First, there are a number of things we can gripe about but, since they are seemingly fixed in stone, Delta is not going to change them. What I want to focus on are things that make frequent flyers crazy and that Delta could, if they wanted to, change. Let’s dive in and see if you agree with me.
- GU & RU space. That is, Global and Regional Upgrade certificate open space. Delta provides these to elites and we can choose them as a Choice Benefit but even when not a single seat is sold in 1st class i.e. the entire cabin is empty, Delta revenue management blocks reps from allowing us to use these perks of traveling and spending big with Delta. How to fix it? At least when the cabin is empty allow us to use them. Maybe you have other suggestions and I am open to hear about them.
- GU & RU search. Only slightly less maddening, beyond the lack of space above, is the fact that we as users are not able to use Delta.dumb to actually search for open space before we go to use our certs. Having to call Delta reps and have them tell us no – no – no is frustrating but we never know how diligent they are at looking at ALL the open dates and routes for open upgrade space. Delta, give us the power to search and we will do the work!
- GU to PS & D1S. Last gripe in connection with certs and that is the fact that Delta makes us burn another global upgrade cert if we (foolishly, btw) use one to upgrade from coach to Premium Select and then want to upgrade to Delta One Suites. Sorry Delta, but the least you could do is if D1S space opens up, and we have burned a cert to get to PS, allow us then for no additional cert “cost” to move all the way up front. This one is not hard.
- Blocked seat maps. This bug has been ongoing since May of this year. Delta clearly has no interest in fixing this maddening bug. We also know this bug has spread to impact phone reps screens too. Spend the money or hire the folks to fix this super frustrating IT mega-bug!
- Selling cheap upgrades. I get you want to eke out every penny you can, Delta, but if you are going to so cheapen the Medallion complimentary upgrade experience by selling upgrades so cheap (think as low as $9.95) then any Tom, Dick and Harry is going to jump on them and elites get to fly in coach, always. This is just not OK. Get the IT folks to put in, no matter how short or long the flight is, a bottom floor minimum price (think $100+) for any segment upgrade for sale. Make money and at the same time be fair to elites. I do not know programming, but could not a simple “if-then” statement work?
- Skybonus 5 flyer rule. Skybonus was once a great business program to motivate folks to always buy and fly Delta. Then they started to devalue the program as bad as SkyMiles. But even worse was the change that you must have at least 5+ flying each year (at least one flight) to be part of the program. Why do you hate small business people and entrepreneurs, Delta? Go back to rewarding anyone who is a small business owner and chooses to always fly Delta!
- MQSs do not roll over. Delta made mega changes to the medallion program this year. Some good and some bad. But believe it or not tons of folks qualify on segments and there is no reason they can not enjoy the same rollover perk that those of us who qualify on MQMs enjoys. Delta, would it kill you to have a loyal segment flyer rollover say 10 segments into next year?
- The 250k Amex MQD exempt spend number. Now I know for 99% of the population this number is A) not attainable or B) just stupid to spend THAT much on a Delta co-branded credit card (especially when SkyMiles are worth so little compared to other points). I am OK with this number but clearly it is a mistake to have gone this big. Roll this one back. I think had they made it $100,000 i.e. 4x what the old price was folks would have said WOW but at the same time it would have been a more reasonable number that could be justified by most folks.
- Auto Check-in for Fly Delta App. Delta is clearly touting this as a perk. It is not. It is a mistake. I will keep using the old version of the app with my Android phone until there is a choice in the app to OPT-OUT of the stupid auto check-in when you open the app “feature”. Again, hire the needed IT folks to fix this stupid idea.
- No notice on seat changes. This last one is just beyond comprehension. We all work so hard to pick the perfect seats and Delta (almost) never tells us when we are booted out of them. Award Wallet tells me when other airlines change my seats but Delta blocks them from doing this simple service. At a bare minimum allow Award Wallet back in. Or, another idea, email us when you dump us out of our chosen seats? Is your IT department not capable of this?
So there you are. Again, I get there are any number of other things we could gripe about, but Delta is just not going to fix or address them. They like them the way they are. However, the above items they COULD fix if they just wanted to. Do you agree? – René
PS – There has been a MEGA Delta Schedule Change Saturday event this past weekend. I do not think even one of my dozens of Delta flights were NOT impacted in some way. I will be following my own advice and checking alternative flights for each segment before I CALL (do not go click’in on stuff on Delta.dumb) and have Delta reps clean up the mess that has been presented to me!