This is an interesting way of putting up a return of a sweet Delta SkyMiles offer by putting a twist to earn the full 70,000 bonus points. Rather than simply make it a flat 70,000 point offer like they have done in the past this one is contingent on you spending $7,000 in the first 6 months of card membership to earn the full new card bonus offer. Take a look at the bullet points:
- Special Offer: Earn up to 70,000 Bonus Miles. Earn 35,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Also, earn 5 miles per dollar on eligible purchases with your new Card during the first 6 months of Card Membership, up to 35,000 bonus miles. Special offer expires 7/31/18.
- Earn a $100 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
- Check your first bag for free and save up to $50 on a round trip Delta flight.
- Settle into your seat sooner with Priority Boarding.
- Enjoy 20% savings on eligible in-flight purchases in the form of a statement credit with the American Express Delta Card.
- Earn 2 Miles per dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta. Earn 1 mile on every eligible dollar spent on purchases. Miles don’t expire.
- Terms and limitations apply
- See Rates & Fees
I like where Amex is going with this. It is encouraging spend not just getting a card for the new card offer and then putting it in the sock drawer. I also really like this because my guess is you have never had this card since it is a business card (keep in mind Amex has a 1x in a lifetime new card bonus points rule). You do not have to run a corporation to get this card – anyone who runs any small business, even a sole proprietor who say buys or sells on ebay or such, can get this card. Don’t make money on your small business? There is a place in the application to put your full income to be considered for approval.
Now let’s dive deeper at just how many SkyMiles you could earn in 2018 with mega spend because that, to me, is the way to go if you go for this sweet offer.
- 70,000 new card bonus miles with $7,000 spend.
- 20,000 bonus miles with $50,000 spend (by 31DEC18)
- 50,000 miles from spending on the card $50,000
140,000 possible points year one with $50,000 mega spend. That is enough for a round trip to Europe in Delta One business class at a Level 1 award redemption (yes, if you can find it – if not ask Adam for help)!
Not just that, you are getting bonus MQMs that only matter if you are a Delta Medallion trying to keep your status. 5,000 MQMs after you spend $1,000. If you can spend $50,000 by 31DEC18 you are going to harvest another 20,000 for a total of 25,000 this year! That is a lot of MQMs. Do keep in mind you can NOT gift MQMs from the Platinum Delta Amex cards (only from the Delta Reserve cards)!
Plus remember you get a $100 statement credit with any purchase on a Delta jet year one of card membership. Even a $2.00 set of Delta’s “billboard” headphone will trigger the full $100 credit (and you get 20% off as well)! Or, if you buy from a PC, a $50.00 Delta e-Gift card that too will trigger the full $100 credit.
Bottom line, this is just about the best standard SkyMiles bonus offer Amex has ever put up for this card (they have had higher MQM offers in the past). They are assembling the bonus via higher spend but that is AOK for me.
Are you going for this limited time Delta Amex Business Platinum card offer? – René