- Introduction: 10 Day Norwegian Dawn Family Suite Vacation – On points!
- American Airlines (and connection) First Class South Bend – Dallas – San Juan
- Priority Pass The Club at Dallas DFW – a good choice when Centurion turns you away?
- Hard Eight BBQ Review Coppell, Texas – A “Must Visit Spot” on a long Dallas DFW Layover
- Marriott Sheraton Old San Juan Old Town Suite Review – Across from Cruise Port
- NCL Norwegian Dawn Family Suite 12016 Forward Starboard Side Review
- IHG Intercontinental San Juan Puerto Rico Hotel near SJU Airport Review Room 1601
- Priority Pass Avianca Lounge San Juan Terminal C
- Final thoughts booking an entire vacation on points (worth it)?!
I really thought I was brilliant. I booked this hotel, The Sheration Old San Juan, for a number of reasons. First, I booked back when SPG points were still SPG and got a great rate. Second, I wanted to be able to simply walk out of my hotel and onto my cruise ship. The latter was a little bit of a problem because I did not know that Norwegian parks their ships, not right across from the hotel, but way around on the other side of the port.
The third reason I booked this hotel was that I still had SPG Platinum status and have had great results with upgrades over the years with SPG. This visit was no different with an upgrade to a high floor corner suite
I love when your room has double doors. Not that it really matters but it is just fun to see. Also having a spacious entrance area is great for luggage etc. and on a 10 day cruise, we had some bags.
Also a totally separate living room / dining area from the bedroom and bath is always a plus. Plenty of room, nice size TV and work desk. The wifi speed was good but not remarkable. Furniture was comfortable other than the quirky, but fashionable, coffee table.
Just left of entrance a short corridor, with a door, to the master bath and bedroom.
Despite the warm temps in San Juan the hotel room was cool and comfortable. A little warm when we arrived but quickly fixed.
The bathroom was clean and water pressure was solid – otherwise unremarkable. The really impressive part of this room came the next morning when it was light outside.
The views from this suite were remarkable of the city and fort nearby. Magnificent.
Equally impressive was the view the other way toward the harbor and seeing cruise ships right in front of the hotel waiting to greet passengers. But as I mentioned from the opening…
Our ship was not just outside but all the way around the harbor (about a 10 minute taxi ride away – no way to walk).
As a then Platinum, breakfast was free and delightful. The staff at the hotel were equally delightful. I would, if I were sailing on a ship departing across the road, stay here again. Also, having walking access to so much of old San Juan is another perk if you are staying a few days pre or post cruise.
Have you ever stayed at this Sheraton? Were you confused about what ships dock where as well? – René