If you want to save 50% cashback on flights booked through Delta and receive a nice SkyMiles bonus, today is your last, safe chance to sign up for this great Delta Amex offer! OFFERS EXPIRED — PLEASE SEE CURRENT OFFERS
While the offer officially ends tomorrow, August 15, Amex generally doesn’t announce exactly what time the offers expire. We’ve seen offers end at night, in the early afternoon, and sometimes before lunch.
(A reader told me he had difficulty getting approved right away because of the Equifax data breach and said he’s “glad he didn’t dawdle.”)
To recap, here are the details: four Delta Amex cards are offering 50% cashback (up to certain limits) on purchases made directly through Delta Air Lines. These offers are valid only for people who have not yet a card for which they are signing up. But if you’ve had a personal version of a card, you can get its business flavor (and vice versa).
Qualifying cards include:
- Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card from American Express (learn more)
- Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express (learn more)
- Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express (learn more)
- Gold Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card from American Express (learn more)
Personal Platinum (learn more) and business Platinum Delta Amex (learn more) new cardholders receive up to $500 in statement credits on purchases made directly with Delta during with the first three months of being approved. In other words, spend $1000, get $500 credit. There are no bonus MQMs included in this offer — but I’ll tell you in a few minutes why this is a good thing.
Both the personal Platinum (read more) and business Platinum Delta Amex (read more) come with an annual complimentary companion ticket (starting your second year of holding the card) valid for select coach fares. The Platinum cards’ respective $195 annual fees are not waived.
New applicants for the personal (learn more) and business version (learn more) of the Gold Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card from American Express also receive a 50% cashback offer. That card’s statement credit is limited to $300.
The Gold cards’ respective $95 annual fees are waived for the first year.
Other Delta Amex Cards Benefits
All Delta Amexes offer the following perks:
- Earn 2X per dollar spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta
- Earn 1X per dollar on other eligible purchases
- Free first checked bag for you and up to eight others on your confirmation number/PNR.
- 20% off purchases made onboard Delta flights (premium snacks, adult beverages, headphones)
- Main Cabin 1 priority boarding — even if you’re flying Basic Economy.
- No foreign transaction fees
Why 50% Cash Back is Better Than MQM Bonuses
I posted a Vegas to Tokyo weekend mileage run earlier this week. It earns over 14,400 MQM for $612.23. New Delta Amex cardholders would end up spending just over $300 thanks to the cashback promotion.
Something like that is, in my opinion, far better (and more fun!) than spending $3000 or $5000 to get 5000 MQM or 10,000 MQM (and that’s only offered during huge bonus promotions).
Granted, you still need to spend $3000 if you want to earn 50,000 bonus SkyMiles on the Delta Amex Platinum personal (read more) or business cards (read more). But if MQM are your thing — and they are for many Delta travelers — the cashback offer can provide a cost-effective and enjoyable way to stock up on elite miles.
Keep your eyes peeled on our Elite Mileage Run section. I’ll post some more runs in the coming days and weeks.
What I Don’t Like About This Offer
I’ve already enjoyed every Delta Amex’s welcome bonus — and therefore can’t receive anymore! I wish I could take advantage of this 50% cashback opportunity! The only thing I don’t like about this offer is I’m not eligible ;-).
This is a fantastic opportunity to save on travel — especially with the expensive holiday travel season quickly approaching.
Don’t forget to check out these two Q&As:
- “Answering a Friend’s Questions About the Delta Amex Cash Back Credit Card Offer”
- “What Are Some Rules and Tips About the Delta Amex Companion Passes?”
Or drop a note in the Comments section below!
OFFERS EXPIRED — PLEASE SEE CURRENT OFFERS