MQM bonuses earned through credit card spend are a big perk of four Delta American Express cards. Some of those benefits are being tweaked starting next year as part of the big Delta Amex refresh.
Only three weeks remain to take advantage of the great welcome offers for new Delta Amex applicants NOTE: SOME OFFERS EXPIRED so now’s a good time to tackle some questions we’re frequently asked when it comes to MQM bonuses from Delta credit cards.
1. Which Delta American Express Cards Earn Bonus MQM?
2. Do I Get MQM Just for Being a New Cardholder?
If you haven’t yet held an American Express card, you’re eligible for that card’s welcome bonus. And the four mentioned Delta Amexes each offer bonus MQM for new approvals meeting the minimum spend requirements.
3. Less Than Three Months Remain in 2019. If I Meet a Welcome Bonus’ Minimum Spend Requirement in January 2020, What Happens?
The welcome bonus MQM will likely be applied retroactively to 2019 and rollover, if applicable. That’s what happened when I signed up for a Delta Reserve card a few Decembers ago and met the spend in January.
That being said, I personally recommend trying to knock out the minimum spend requirement before the year is up.
4. How Can I Earn More MQM With My Delta Amex Card(s)?
Those four Delta American Express cards offer MQM bonuses when you reach certain spending thresholds during a calendar year:
Let’s break down into brands or “flavors” as we often say.
Delta Platinum Cards
Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express (or the “personal Delta Amex Platinum”)
Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card from American Express (or the “business Delta Amex Platinum”)
If you spend another $25,000 that same calendar year on the same Delta Amex card, you receive another 10,000 MQM.
So spending $50,000 on one Delta Amex Platinum card during a calendar year would earn you 20,000 bonus MQM.
Again, the spend requirements are per card — not across cards. Spending just $15,000 on personal Delta Amex Platinum and just $10,000 on a business Delta Amex Platinum will not trigger the MQM bonus. But spending $25,000 on a personal Delta Amex Platinum will make you 10,000 MQM richer.
Delta Reserve Cards
Hang on, kids. This is where it gets a little confusing.
Through the end of 2019, you receive 15,000 MQM when you spend $30,000 on either a personal Delta Reserve or Delta Reserve business card. If you spend another thirty large on that card (for a total of $60,000), you get another 15,000 MQM.
Through January 29, 2020, the same rules are in effect for those 29 days only. Receive 15,000 MQM when you spend $30,000 on either a personal Delta Reserve or Delta Reserve business card. If you have a massive credit limit and somehow do it again on that card (for a total of $60,000), you get another 15,000 MQM.
Starting January 30, 2020, Delta launches “Status Boost” — a fancier way of saying “MQM bonus.” The only difference is that you can now earn four MQM bonuses on each Reserve card (as opposed to the current two)! Once/if you spend $90,000 and $120,000 on one Reserve, you’ll receive 15,000 bonus MQM for each tier.
(So if you currently hold two Reserve cards just to get the 60,000 bonus MQM, one card will do the job next year.)
Per American Express: “During the period from January 1 – January 29, 2020, if eligible purchases on the Card are $30,000 or more, the Card Member will be awarded 15,000 bonus miles up to two times. In addition, any eligible purchases made during this period will count toward earning MQMs for the remainder of the calendar year.”
Based on that wording, it sounds like you don’t have to worry about January 1-29 spend being wiped out on the 30th.
5. Can I Earn Bonus MQM from Each Platinum and Reserve Card?
If you hold all four MQM-earning cards, you can technically receive 160,000 bonus MQM (starting January 30, 2020) from yearly card spend alone.
- $50,000 on the personal Delta Amex Platinum = 20,000 MQM
- $50,000 on the business Delta Amex Platinum = 20,000 MQM
- $120,000 on the personal Delta Reserve = 60,000 MQM
- $120,000 on the Delta Reserve business = 60,000 MQM
However, you can only “max out” a card product’s MQM bonus once per year. For example, having two separate business Delta Amex Platinum cards on your account won’t permit you to earn 40,000 MQM after spending $50,000 on each.
6. Does Spend from Additional Cardholders Count Toward MQM Bonus Requirements?
Sure does! So if you have a significant other, children, employees, etc., and make them authorized users, any purchase they make on your card counts as spend toward your MQM goal.
7. Do Authorized Users/Additional Cardholders Receive MQM?
No. They only perk they get is you footing the bill. 😉
8. Can MQM Earned Through Delta Amexes Be Gifted?
(René — ultra-generous mensch that he is — gifted 15,000 MQM to someone earlier this year and wrote about all about the process.)
- keep each 15,000 MQM bonus for yourself
- give one 15,000 MQM bonus to someone and keep one for yourself
- give both 15,000 MQM bonuses to someone (they can be two separate people)
If you forget to decide with 90 days of the notification email, the 15,000 bonus MQM will automatically be applied to your SkyMiles MQM total.
8a. Can the Welcome Bonus MQM for the Reserve Cards Be Gifted?
No. Only the primary cardholder receives those.
8b. Can the Welcome Bonus MQM for the Delta Platinum Amexes Be Gifted?
8c. Can Any Bonus MQM for the Delta Platinum Amexes Be Gifted?
8e. So the Only MQM That Can Be Gifted to Someone Are the Ones Earned from Spending a Lot of Money Each Year on a Delta Reserve Amex?
9. Do MQM Earned Through Delta Amexes “Rollover” to the Next Medallion Qualification Year?
If you’re a Medallion, yes. They’re essentially the same as MQM you earn flying.
10. Do MQM Earned Through Delta Amexes count towards my Delta Million Miler status?
Yes. Both the new card bonus MQMs as well as all spending bonus MQMs all count towards your Delta Million Miler status.
Any questions about the MQM earned from Delta Amex cards? Please ask them in the below Comments section!
Other Delta Amex Topics We’ve Covered This Month
Now is a fantastic opportunity to apply for Delta Amexes because many have great welcome bonuses SOME OFFERS EXPIRED — PLEASE SEE CURRENT OFFERS LISTED THROUGH EACH LINK. — and you can lock in a year at their current annual fees.
We’ve covered several related topics during the past several weeks including:
- My Thoughts on the New Delta American Express Benefits, Fees, and More!
- 10 Things to Know About Bonus MQM on the Updated Delta Amex Cards
- What You Need to Know About the Delta Amex MQD Waiver
- Delta Main Cabin 1 Boarding: How Valuable is This Delta Amex Perk?
- Sky Club Access for Delta American Express Cards: Which Cards are Now Eligible?
- Saving Money with the Delta Amex Free First Checked Bag Benefit
- “No Status” Upgrades for Delta Reserve Cardholders?
- Is Centurion Lounge Access with a Delta Reserve Card Really That Great?
- Saving 20% on Delta Purchases Made Onboard During Flights with Delta American Express Cards
- A Mileage Run Without Getting On a Plane? Yes!
- Scoring More First Class Upgrades: How Delta American Express Cards Can Help
- Trip Delay Coverage with the Delta Reserve Cards and Delta Platinum American Express Cards
Big Welcome Bonuses Expire WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 30! (SOME OFFERS EXPIRED — PLEASE SEE CURRENT OFFERS LISTED THROUGH EACH LINK.)
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.