But does everything you buy during a Delta flight qualify as an “in-flight purchase”? (Hint: no.)
Great Delta Amex welcome offers expire Wednesday — and new applicants can enjoy a year of current annual fees before they’re raised.
So let’s learn a little more about this perk — and if there are any better options to consider.
How Does the 20% Statement Credit for Delta In-Flight Purchases Work?
Use any Delta American Express card to pay for an eligible purchase onboard a Delta Air Lines or Delta Connection operated flight.
Your statement will soon reflect a 20% credit for that purchase. Delta says to allow 8-12 weeks for the credit to post. In my experience, it’s usually a few days.
So I Don’t Get a 20% Discount at the Time of Purchase?
You pay full price at the time of purchase. The 20% is taken off your Delta Amex card’s statement.
What Purchases Are Eligible for the 20% Statement Credit?
- Food (Premium snacks like Flight Fuel, the sandwich wraps, etc.)
- Alcoholic beverages
- Audio headsets
- Pre-purchased meals (Anyone know about this? Please share in the Comments section.)
What Isn’t Eligible for Statement Credit?
- In-flight wireless internet access (i.e. Gogo WiFi)
- Charitable contributions
- Pretty much anything other than food, beverage, or headsets
Do I Receive Statement Credit for In-Flight Purchases Made During on Partner Airlines if I Bought My Ticket Through Delta?
What If I’m Flying Delta — But Purchased My Ticket Through a Partner Airline?
Yes! That’ll work fine. Cheers!
What If I Purchase Something — Such as a Future Flight — with the Fly Delta App or Delta.com During a Flight? Shouldn’t That Count as an In-Flight Purchase?!
If only. I appreciate that line of thinking, though. 🙂
Do I Receive SkyMiles for In-Flight Delta Purchases?
Sure do! All seven Delta Amexes currently earn 2X SkyMiles per dollar spent on Delta purchases.
That gets kicked up to 3X SkyMiles for the below Delta Amexes, starting January 30, 2020:
- Delta Reserve Credit Card from American Express
- Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express
- Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card
- Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card from American Express
Do Onboard Purchases Count Toward a Card’s Welcome Bonus Delta Purchase Statement Credit?
Right now, the personal and business Delta Amex Platinum cards each offer a $100 statement credit when a new cardholder uses his/her card for an eligible Delta purchase. (The personal and business Delta Amex Gold cards offer $50 credits.)
You’ll receive 20% credit for the onboard purchase and the applicable welcome bonus statement credit, too.
Are There Better Credit Cards to Use for Delta In-Flight Purchases?
Now that Delta gift cards are absolutely truly officially not eligible for the American Express Platinum and Gold cards’ annual airline incidental credits, I’ll probably opt for those instead — simply because I already hold one of each and want to get some value for my buck. (We’re testing some other purchases right now and will soon have a post detailing our findings.)
Call me crazy, but I think free is better than 20% off.
Keep in mind, too, that the personal American Express Platinum card earns 5X on purchases made directly with any airline.
Ask or sound off in the Comments section!
Other Delta Amex Topics We’ve Covered This Month
Now is a fantastic opportunity to apply for Delta Amexes because many have great welcome bonuses — and you can lock in a year at their current annual fees.
We’ve covered several related topics during the past several weeks including:
- My Thoughts on the New Delta American Express Benefits, Fees, and More!
- 10 Things to Know About Bonus MQM on the Updated Delta Amex Cards
- What You Need to Know About the Delta Amex MQD Waiver
- Delta Main Cabin 1 Boarding: How Valuable is This Delta Amex Perk?
- Sky Club Access for Delta American Express Cards: Which Cards are Now Eligible?
- Saving Money with the Delta Amex Free First Checked Bag Benefit
- “No Status” Upgrades for Delta Reserve Cardholders?
- Is Centurion Lounge Access with a Delta Reserve Card Really That Great?
- Saving 20% on Delta Purchases Made Onboard During Flights with Delta American Express Cards
- A Mileage Run Without Getting On a Plane? Yes!
- Scoring More First Class Upgrades: How Delta American Express Cards Can Help
Big Welcome Bonuses Expire THIS WEDNESDAY!
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.