René and I field tons of mileage run requests — especially this time of year.
It’s like we’re Mileage Run Wedding DJs or something. 😉
While taking an MQM run to the other side of the world might be fun (I’m a fan), there is another way to pocket MQM without paying insane prices to buy miles from Delta:
Get a personal Delta Reserve or business Delta Reserve credit card. You’re 10,000 MQM richer after meeting the minimum spend ($5,000 on the personal; $3,000 for the business) within three months of being approved.
Two Other Options
If you absolutely do not want to get a Delta Amex but need to load up on MQM, you have a couple of different options — and one of them involves flying. A lot.
Buy MQM From Delta
Please don’t do this.
I know people who did — only to discover they could have earned more MQM for far less money just from meeting the personal Delta Reserve or business Delta Reserve credit card‘s minimum required spend to reach the welcome bonus.
They weren’t happy with their MQM purchase.
Let’s take a look at some of the numbers from last year:
To reach or maintain Diamond Medallion status, people short of MQM or MQD could pay $3299 for 10,000 MQM.
Or they could just apply for the business Delta Reserve credit card — which carries a $450 annual fee until January 30, 2020 — and receive 10,000 MQM after spending $3000 during the first 90 days of approval.
If you have $3000 in purchases to make between now the end of January, getting the credit card is a much more economically smart move.
Plus, you enjoy the Delta Reserve card perks such as:
- First class upgrade priority
- Complimentary Sky Club access when flying Delta (and Centurion Lounges starting January 30, 2020)
- Companion Certificate for select coach or first class airfares
- First free checked bag
- 20% statement credit on in-flight Delta purchases
You can also take one (or more) of the mileage runs we post — especially the partner trips which yield nice chunks of MQM and MQD.
Meeting Minimum Spend
It’s the holiday season. Many of us are going to spend money.
Meeting welcome bonus minimum spend requirements is generally easier this time of year than others. (For better or worse.)
Need to pay rent or another expense that normally requires a check? Consider Plastiq for a couple of payments. There is a service fee — but it’s better than donating thousands to Delta for an MQM purchase.
Other Delta Amex Topics We’ve Covered This Month
Now is a fantastic opportunity to apply for Delta Amexes because many have great welcome bonuses — and you can lock in a year at their current annual fees. OFFERS EXPIRED
We’ve covered several related topics during the past several weeks including:
- My Thoughts on the New Delta American Express Benefits, Fees, and More!
- 10 Things to Know About Bonus MQM on the Updated Delta Amex Cards
- What You Need to Know About the Delta Amex MQD Waiver
- Delta Main Cabin 1 Boarding: How Valuable is This Delta Amex Perk?
- Sky Club Access for Delta American Express Cards: Which Cards are Now Eligible?
- Saving Money with the Delta Amex Free First Checked Bag Benefit
- “No Status” Upgrades for Delta Reserve Cardholders?
- Is Centurion Lounge Access with a Delta Reserve Card Really That Great?
- Saving 20% on Delta Purchases Made Onboard During Flights with Delta American Express Cards
- A Mileage Run Without Getting On a Plane? Yes!
- Scoring More First Class Upgrades: How Delta American Express Cards Can Help
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.