Disclaimer: This flight was at the very end of December 2019 as part of my, and my “BRU boys”, Delta elite mileage run to keep my Diamond status with Delta for 2020.
- Review: KLM 777 Business Class Full Flat Seat! Dinner and Breakfast During a Trip from Atlanta to Amsterdam
With that, on to the review:
It is worth considering that airline food is prepared hours before flight and then warmed up in tiny ovens in the galley. Honestly, it is remarkable to me that anything good at all is ever presented at 30,000+ feet at over 500 miles per hour. That said, on to one of the classic and much talked about lunch / dinner meals on Delta Air Lines: The Delta Burger!
My wife has never had the above burger. She needles me each time I have one and even more so when I write about them (she edits all my posts due to the fact that I am dyslexic).
Let’s start with the presentation with this first meal of my Delta Elite Mileage run to finish 2019 and re-qualify for Diamond for 2020. While this setup means you have to assemble much of the burger yourself, it does prevent issues like a soggy bun (most of the time) and you can add what you like.
That is what I did using the provided ketchup, mayo and mustard. My only tiny gripe would be more onions would have been nice but at least they were included.
I was also pleased with the potato salad. Large wedge shaped bits that were firm but not raw. Even the amount provided was sufficient to accompany the entire burger.
If you are the kind of person who likes a rare to medium rare burger – this is not the burger for you. Honestly, I am a fan of medium temperature when it comes to steaks but not burgers. Give me a well to medium well presentation and I am thrilled. Most of the Delta burgers I have had look like what you see above.
Were there any downsides and what issue may you have with the Delta burger? The bun had a tiny spot that had come in contact with liquid that was a little soggy. Also, the rest of the bun was a bit dry but not a deal breaker.
The real comparison is would I have said this was a great burger on the ground vs. in the air? No, I would have said was just OK on the ground but in the air I give it a slightly higher grade. I would order it again if given the option and that I think is the final grade. Was anything missing? Yep.
The burger needed BACON!
Who I am I kidding – everything is better with bacon and this would improve the Delta burger a bunch. It would add some flavor that was missing (are you listening Delta).
On to dessert. On my positioning flight down to Las Vegas I was presented with a delicious ice cream bar. That dessert was so good the man sitting next to me ordered a second one (they even had an extra for him). This tiny little pie was not the star of the meal but worked. It was a bit dry and could have really used a little vanilla ice cream to make it nummy. Even, like they do in Sweden with apple pie, a little vanilla sauce would have been just what it was missing (again, are you listening Delta).
Overall this is a fun meal for domestic first class. As a full disclaimer, one of the four in my group on the run to Brussels got a bun that was not as good as mine and he ate the burger sans-bun and still enjoyed it as such.
Have you had the Delta burger? Did you enjoy it? Would you order it again? Let us know! – René
Get 5% Cashback on Quarterly Bonus Categories, Select Grocery Purchases, and Select Travel Purchases!
- No annual fee!
- $200 bonus after spending only $500 on purchases within three months of being approved!
- Several 5% cashback categories:
- Earn 5% cashback on up to $1,500 on purchases in quarterly bonus categories you activate. (October through December 2020 are Walmart and Paypal.)
- Earn 5% cashback on grocery store purchases (not including Target or Walmart purchases) on up to $12,000 spent within the first year of being approved. That alone is potentially worth $600.
- Earn 5% cashback on travel purchased through Chase. So if you book a trip through Chase’s travel service, you’ll receive 5% cashback — and still earn both elite and redeemable miles on your airline ticket purchases!
- You also enjoy 3% cashback on some other purchases:
- Dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery services
- Learn more now about the Chase Freedom Flex credit card or read about more great no annual fee cards!
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.