A fire at the Cosmopolitan Las Vegas caused multiple injuries — and was started by a guest lighting candles.
Plus, sad news from Marriott, whose CEO died after a battle with pancreatic cancer.
Those are some of the travel-related news headlines I thought you, too, may find interesting.
Cosmopolitan Las Vegas Fire Cause Revealed
A guest lighting candles is allegedly to blame for Saturday night’s fire at the Cosmopolitan Las Vegas. Smoke was initially reported coming from the 51st floor of the tower just before 8:00 PM.
Clark County Deputy Fire Chief Warren Whitney said the fire caused little damage.
“The occupant of the room, they had candles lit and they had the sliding door open and it was windy,” Whitney said. “The wind blew a curtain into a candle and ignited the curtain.”
Kids, quick lesson here: Fire + Wind = Never Good.
Deputy Chief Whitney said the occupant of the room is believed to have used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames. The LVRJ adds that several people were taken to a hospital with minor injuries.
Thank goodness it didn’t turn into anything tragic.
Marriott CEO Dies
Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson died of pancreatic cancer — at just age 62.
Seeing his cause of death put a pit in my stomach and lump in my throat. Pancreatic cancer killed my mother about 20 years ago. As fellow blogger Brian Cohen noted today, the disease is very much a death sentence.
Best wishes to his family, friends, and everyone at Marriott.
- Scotland is sending people home after a hotel quarantine error.
- Inside quarantine hotel room where couple forced to do laundry in bathroom
- Severe weather leads to lost power at some hotels, no occupancy at others
Featured image: ©iStock.com/OlgaMiltsova
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.