The Sidney morning Herald The Sydney Morning Herald recently had an article that said “Ten unwritten rules of travel“. Now I am normally not one to critique another travel writer but I had to this time. I encourage you to read it before you see my thoughts on the piece.
Now let’s break it down.
1) Always pack thongs. – No not those, the foot kind. Really? I would trade a good pair of sneakers any day no matter where I am on the planet!
2) Smile. Always smile. – Sure. Be nice. But really, what kind of advice is this? We should all do this anyway!
Foul ball at best
3) There is no secret to getting an upgrade. Other than “being able to afford it”. – This is the dumbest advice I have ever read. From using points to upgrade, to a bump and asking for an upgrade on the next flight, to earring status to upgrade to other ways (ask me at the Chicago DO) that can earn you upgrades; there are so many ways to get a free upgrade!
4) Don’t treat locals like wildlife. The world is not your gallery. – Have you ever not found someone willing to cheese or help you with a photo. This is a travel rule?
5) Buy music. Local music. – Uh, YouTube. Amazon.com? Plus I get points this way buying the music. 🙂 To be honest I have done this a few times but still….
6) Don’t recline your seat during meal times. – Humm… This one is hard. I have issues with seat recline as readers well know. But as long as you recline slow all is good!
Ball, maybe. Single maybe.
7) Take a set of decent clothes. – unwritten rules of travel – really? Packing clothes is a unwritten rule of travel. I am so happy to learn this. I planned to travel in shorts and foot thongs to Alaska in winter. This saved me!
Swing and a miss – Strike five if you are keeping track
8 ) Don’t bang on about how great Australia is. – Let’s change this to an American perspective. This one works. Not a home run, but works. We all tend to be somewhat homeland oriented (see yesterdays post for example)!
A solid double.
9) Buy things on the road. Don’t pack them. – Oh, this makes me nuts. And if we read my readers’ “Top Tips” they agree this is just pure bunk. We need to pack and bring things important to us. From medications to contact solution to you name it. You bring it as I doubt you can find what you want where you are going!
Another swing and a MISS. Strike six!
10) More expensive doesn’t equal more enjoyable. – We end as we started!
Another SWING and a miss!
Now we who love points know we do not PAY for 5 star vacations, we spend points, use status to get upgrades, and enjoy the most expensive trips for free! Next time you read something in a paper or magazine from a travel professional, think before you act on the advice! – Rene
▲Delta▲ SkyMiles® Credit Card
American Express – RESERVE/PLATINUM/GOLD
Click here for more information