Delta MQD exempt via paying your TAXES? Yes – for less than you may realize!

René’s Points for Better Travel has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. René’s Points for Better Travel and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our advertising policy, visit visit this page.

cost to pay our taxes with a credit card

Even though I have shown you how I became MQD exempt in 7 days for many it is just too much work. So, why not make it simple for a small fee. If you are way too busy to do creative work to achieve this, perhaps your time is worth enough that you just want something quick, simple and that works. Well then just pay your tax bill with your card (now it helps that you have a tax bill or can perhaps wait for a refund if you overpay). But having said that look at this. You can pay your taxes for as little as a 1.87% fee. If you happen to have a $30,000 tax bill and you pay that on your Delta AMEX Reserve card you get:

  • 30,000 points for spending $30,000 and 15,000 bonus points netting you 45,000 points .
  • The 1.87% fee will cost $561 but you get $450 value of points (at 1 cent each using PWM) = $111 net cost to you.

You can see the amazing results we can get by doing this. You can knock out the $25,000 Delta MQD exempt spend threshold as well as the $30,000 bonus spend AMEX threshold and get both 15,000 bonus Skymiles and 15,000 bonus MQMs that can help you climb to a higher elite level. Since we can, as Delta AMEX card holders, use the pay with miles feature we get at a bare minimum 1 cent value per Skymile so we are getting $450 in value back. Thus, our net cost out of pocket is $111 to get this done this way.

paying large tax bill for points

This has worked well for me for years!

Now I am NO tax expert. I am not giving tax advice today but it is my understanding that if you OVER PAY your taxes you can request a refund in the form of a check or a direct deposit to your account. I can also tell you I have paid my taxes this way for many years just not with a number as big as $30,000 (I do have to pay a rather large bill each year). So I can confirm this has worked just fine in the past as well as my estimated taxes in January this year 2017.

Maybe even NOW it’s time to look at getting a Delta AMEX card to pay your tax bill. – René




  1. Just paid quarterly Federal payroll taxes today. According to IRS, I cannot pay with a credit card as it is a “Deposit” for withholding taxes for my employees. Check or ACH only.

  2. Rene, Following your link to the 5th bullet point says “You can’t make Federal Tax Deposits.” When an employer pays tax form 941 quarterly taxes for employee withholding (FICA, Medicare, Federal Income tax), the EFTPS website calls this a “Tax Deposit” and accepts only ACH. When I look at your link, this looks like it is for self-employed paying quarterly estimates or for 1040 taxes. What am I missing?

  3. @Glenn – The link does show what you can pay with a card and the fee. Also, side note, some states allow card payments as well. Indiana does but the fee is a bit higher.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *